NATIONAL NETWORK FOR THE PROMOTION OF WOMEN
- They say that to remember is to live again and that is so very true. Twenty-one years ago, the National Network of the Promotion of Women was created by a group of women which dreamed of transforming the situation of Peruvian women.
- Following numerous meetings and debates, a workshop was organized and in the first training, we were given the opportunity to analyze and reflect on basic concepts (gender problems, sexual division of labor and gender planning).
- As a result of this workshop, a survey was conducted nationwide to ask organized women and related social development organizations in each community which were the main problems in their institution, social organization or community group. This was done with the aim of analyzing the existing situation and gathering proposals related to women.
- Based on the information collected, experts identified and developed nine core themes. These formed the basis for the National Program for the Promotion of Women which was debated and approved at the National Meeting in which participated representatives from every department.
- The nine themes were: Family Life, Productive Activity, Housing, Education and Culture, Health, Violence Against Women, Political Participation, and Women’s image in the media.
- At the National Meeting in Chaclacayo which took place in March of 1990, the Assembly approved and signed the agreement creating the National Network for the Promotion of Women.
- As Socorro Barrantes once wrote: “El mundo debe cambiar…Sin embargo, también la risa que en una gloria, se vuelca a los cuatro vientos anunciando que el PROGRAMA· NACIONAL DE PROMOCION DE LA MUJER tiene campanas, canciones, niños, hombres y mujeres risueños, con alas de mil palomas para volar en un cielo que alcance para todos y todas las mujeres"
Delma Del Valle Seminario
National Assembly - April 2010
1·/. National Program for Advancement of Women (1990-1995). Presidency of the Council of Ministers
National Population Council. Lima. Perú 1990.